Mango Street-"Darius and the Clouds"
The House on Mango Street
Journal Guide for Chapter Fifteen
“Darius & the Clouds”
Answer the following questions in complete sentences.
1. Esperanza says that you can never have too much sky. Why does the sky symbolize for her?
2. What is there a shortage of on Mango Street?
3. What wise thing did Darius say? Why is it wise?
Explain the significance of the following quote.
1. You can never have too much sky. You can fall asleep and wake up drunk on sky, and sky can keep you safe when you are sad.
This chapter once again brings up the idea of making the best of what you have. What lines reinforce this idea?
Cisneros has a poetic style. She incorporates both vivid imagery and spare prose. She uses both to create a picture of the narrator’s world.
1. What words and phrases describe the sky and the clouds?
2. How do does Esperanza describe Darius? How does her word choice create a complete picture of the boy Darius is?
3. Explain the last line of the chapter. How does Darius make it simple?
Many people turn to nature when they are upset or sad or in need of peace. Esperanza says that you can get drunk on sky. Is there a part of nature that soothes you when you are sad or upset? Is there a part of nature that inspires you?